MACHU PICCHU TRAIN TOUR 3-DAYS
Top 5 train journeys in the world
Stay 1 night in Sacred Valley and in Machu Picchu
Exclusive tours of Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu
This popular tour is exclusive to Guiding Peru, allowing you more time to enjoy the beautiful scenery of the Sacred Valley, concluding with a guided tour of Machu Picchu.
- 3 – day adventure
- Sacred Valley full day guided tour
- Tourist Expedition train
- Chinchero weaving social project
- Moray Archaeological site
- Maras Salt Pans
- Ollantaytambo Inca Site and shopping
- Private guided tour of Machu Picchu
- Aguas Calientes shopping and hot springs(optional)
- 2 Nights hotel accommodations included
- 25% deposit required at time of booking
Guiding Peru’s 3 Day Train Tour to Machu Picchu takes you on one of the most incredible train journeys in the world. The Peru rail line follows the route of the Urubamba River. Along the way, through the cloud forest that surrounds Machu Picchu, you will enjoy the beautiful scenery of the high Andes. Included in this extended adventure is a full day guided tour of the Sacred Valley. This is a day that should not be missed on your visit to Peru. Our guides will lead you on an adventure that you will not soon forget, guaranteeing memories of a lifetime.
DAY 1: GUIDED SACRED VALLEY TOUR: CUSCO – OLLANTAYTAMBO
- Meals: Box lunch and snacks
- Accommodation: Hotel(standard), Ollantaytambo
Today you will enjoy a tour of the Sacred Valley, which is EXCLUSIVE to Guiding Peru. You will visit sites that should not be missed on your visit to Peru. We will arrive at your hotel lobby at 7:00 am and we start driving to Chincheros, famous for its weaving and spectacularly sited at high altitude. (3,800m) We will visit a weaving house and have a demonstration on dying and weaving techniques. You will have the opportunity to purchase quality wool items direct from those who make the products at a price much lower than the stores in Cusco. Next we will continue our drive through the Sacred Valley to the Incan Laboratory of Moray, an amazing place of experimentation of micro climates in the highlands, built in a shape of amphitheater. Continuing the tour for a few more minutes, we arrive in Maras Salt Pans, the main mine of salt production in Peru since the first civilizations in South America, and one of the most productive ones in the world. It provides pink salt and from here, you will get a great view of the area which looks like a moon landscape. After lunch we continue driving 1 hour 15 minutes to Ollantaytambo. Upon arrival, your guide will tour you through Ollantaytambo for about 45 minutes explaining this City as the best example of an intact Inca village. It is charming with its waterways running through the quaint streets of the town. You will explore the archaeological site, having some free time to take pictures and to explore the town. After exploring this archeological site, your guide will bring you to your hotel in Ollantaytambo, where, after checking in, you will have an evening to enjoy on your own.
DAY 2: OLLANTAYTAMBO TO AGUAS CALIENTES
- Meals: Breakfast, dinner and snacks
- Accommodation: Hotel (standard), Aguas Calientes
We will pick you up from your hotel at 7:00 am and bring you to the Ollantaytambo train station where you will board the tourist Expedition train to Aguas Calientes. With beautiful scenery throughout the route, the train journey itself is a wonderful experience. Following the course of the Urubamba River down into the Sacred Valley, you’ll arrive in Aguas Calientes. You will have free time to shop and enjoy lunch on your own in one of the town’s cafes. Your Guiding Peru guide will then lead you to your boutique hotel. Here, you will have the late afternoon to explore on your own, the Machu Picchu Museum and orchid exhibition. This is a 35 minute walk outside of the village. You may also choose to relax in the hot springs that the village is named after. Following this experience, you will enjoy a meal at one of the local restaurants in Aguas Calientes, where Guiding Peru’s guide will brief you about your next day at Machu Picchu.
DAY 3: Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu to Cusco
- Meals: Breakfast, box snacks
After an early breakfast, we begin the tour to Machu Picchu. Your guide will insure you arrive at the Citadel as soon as they open, to catch the magical mists on the ruins as the sun rises. We will start along the Inca Trail that ends in Machu Picchu, one of the flat stones on the edge of cliffs in the highland jungle, that is well known as the Inca Bridge Trail. This is a fascinating walk, where few people go and will take us about 35 minutes round trip. It is the best beginning we can offer for a tour around this magical complex. After the Inca Bridge, you will relax with the best view point of the Citadel and our guide will explain the mystery of Machu Picchu. Following his discussion, your guide will lead you on a tour of the total complex that will last for 2-3 hours. Following the guided tour, you you will be provided a light box snack and have plenty of free time to explore Machu Picchu on your own or take the optional Huayna Picchu Mountain climb. Following your visit to Machu Picchu, a bus will transport you back to Aguas Calientes where you will have time to shop, prior to your return train departing for Cusco. You board the train to Cusco at 4:30 pm, where the Guiding Peru van and driver will be waiting to transport you back to your Cusco hotel, arriving at approximately 8:00 pm.
When to Travel
- High Season (June – August): Dry season in the Andean highlands. Best time for dry conditions for hiking in the Sacred Valley and on Inca Trail.
- Shoulder Season (September-November and March-May): Occasional rainstorms Trails are less crowded, making for ideal visits with more solitude.
- Low Season (December to February): Rainy season. Expect persistent daily rains.
- The Inca Trail is closed in February for trail maintenance and campsite clean up.
Suggested Packing List
- Original Passport
- Waterproof jacket / rain poncho
- Sun hat
- Sun protection cream (factor 35 or higher)
- Insect repellant
- Extra monies for souvenirs
- Personal medication
- Professional English/Spanish Speaking Indigenous Tour Guide
- Return transportation to your hotel or airport in Cusco from Ollantaytambo
- Return transportation by Tourist expedition train from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes
- Full-day guided Sacred Valley Tour with lunch
- Entrance to Machu Picchu
- Private guided tour of Machu Picchu
- 1 night hotel in Ollantaytambo
- 1 night hotel in Aguas Calientes
- Dinner in Aguas Calientes
- Return bus from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes
- Huayna Picchu Ticket (US$75)
- Entrance fees to Sacred Valley Sites (available on the tourist ticket)
- Solo fee – private hotel rooms($100.00)
- Travel insurance