ANCASCOCHA TREK TO MACHU PICCHU 4-DAYS
Trek through traditional villages
Top 20 National Geographic ranked
3 Days trekking 1 Day Machu Picchu
Overview of Ancascocha Trek Tour:
Guiding Peru’s 4-day Ancascocha Trek tour offers you the opportunity to explore one of the most rewarding and scenic trails in the world. On this tour, you will get an opportunity to traverse the foothills of Peru’s Cordillera Vilcabamba which provides an unforgettably beautiful trek to the fabulous Inca ruins of Machu Picchu. The trek consists of traversing over three high passes providing tremendous views of spectacular forested valleys and the snow-capped peaks of the Andes. The Ancascocha Trek tour is for people who want to experience the scenic Andes and nature at its finest. As you hike on the remote “hidden trail” into Machu Picchu, you will be rewarded with an experience of a lifetime!
Please have a look at the Ancascocha Trek tour:
* A Multi-Day Adventure
* Enjoy hiking the remote Ancascocha Trail
* Experience wildlife encounters with llamas, alpacas, vicuñas
* View pristine mountain lakes
* Get a guided tour of Machu Picchu
* Enjoy climbing the Huayna Picchu
* Deluxe camping and deluxe accommodations included
* Nutritious meals and snacks
* Explore top 20 National Geographic ranked, world-wide hike
* Start any day
- 25% deposit required at time of booking
Ancascocha Trek Tour Details:
Guiding Peru refers to the Ancascocha Trek Tour as the “hidden trail trek”, due to it’s “off the beaten path” location. On this trekking tour, we will take you through some of the most unique and remote communities of the Cusco region to see how the locals continue to live like their native ancestors, the Incas. Our Ancascocha Trek tour will give you the opportunity to enjoy a privately guided 3 hour tour of the famous Machu Picchu Citadel. This trek will prove to be challenging, but it has been listed as one of National Geographic’s 20 Dream Hikes on the World’s Best Hikes list- well worth the effort!
*One day before the trek your guide will brief you in your hotel lobby. Time to be determined at the time of booking.
Day 1: Cusco – Soqma – Perolniyoc – Kuychicassa – Valley Cusco
Walking Hours: 7-8 hours
Walking Distance: 11km/challenging
High Altitude 4450m
Accommodation: Deluxe Camping
Meals: Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks
On Day 1 of the Ancascocha Trek tour, Guiding Peru’s experienced tour guide will pick you up from the lobby of your hotel at 5:00 am driving for 1:40min, to reach the starting point in the community of Soqma 3200m. Here the road ends and the Ancascocha Trail begins. We will have a delicious breakfast, prepared by our professional chef, to get us started on the trail. We will also will meet the rest of our staff, such as the horseman and horses that will help us carry all the camp gear and your personal belongings during the trek. After breakfast we will begin to hike up a long, gentle hill for about 2 hours to reach the summit Perolniyoc, with stunning views of an amazing waterfall and an Incan site which your guide will speak to you about during the break. We then continue to move uphill for 1.5 hours to reach the location of our lunch. After a refueling lunch, we will continue to experience the hardest part of our Ancascocha trek tour by moving up the steep incline to reach the Kuychicassa pass 4450m. This will lead you into the Chancachuco Valley, which is a section of today’s hike that takes about 2 hours to the reach the summit and then down for about 45 minutes to our first campsite, Chancachuco 4250m. Here our staff will be waiting for us with hot drinks, a delicious chef prepared dinner and all the tents set up and ready for us to sleep and spend at this first, cold night, location.
Day 2: Chancachuco – Ancascocha – Huayanay – Incaracay – Collpa
Walking Hours: 7-8 hours
Walking Distance: 18km/challenging
High Altitude: 4960m
Accommodation: Deluxe Camping
Meals: Breakfast, lunch, and dinner and snacks
On the 2nd day of the Ancascocha trek tour, you will wake up at 6:00 am to a tent service of coca tea or if you prefer, a nice cup of espresso coffee that will help keep us awake in these beautiful highlands. After breakfast, you need to get ready to start hiking on an original Inca trail, that will be somewhat challenging. The first part of our trail includes a flat path, with some small hills mixed in and then downhill to the valley of Ancascocha community. Depending on the weather and clouds, you will get the best opportunity to see the majestic condors soaring through the skies. While trekking on this part of the Inca trail, it gets very narrow on the side of the mountains that offers spectacular views of the surrounding valley. From our 1st night’s campsite to Ancascocha community, it will be a 1.5 hour hike. After Ancascocha community, we then start hiking up the beautiful lake- Soyrococha 3,800m where we will enjoy a delicious lunch (near the lake) while watching astounding views of spectacular waterfalls falling from the mountain glaciers. After having a nice lunch, we continue the Ancascocha Trek tour (from the lunch spot to the summit) to see the Inca trail, that will be only two more hours until we reach the top of Huayanay pass 4,690m. After reaching the summit, we will make a traditional offering to the mountains and then continue going downhill to the next Inca site, Incaracay 4,200m. After having a relaxing break and listening to our guide’s discuss the areas explored, we continue to travel downhill for about 2.5 more .Here we will reach the campsite in a natural source of clay and minerals where animals and birds of the surrounding area come to visit. Your second night of the Ancascocha Trek tour will be warmer than the first cold night. You will be served a wonderful meal prepared by our chef. Following dinner, our guide and staff will discuss today’s highlights and tomorrow’s itinerary.
Day 3: Collpa – Paucarcancha – Pattallacata – KM 82
Walking Hours: 5 hours/easy-moderate
Walking Distance: 16km
High Altitude: 3500m
Accommodation: Deluxe accommodations, Aguas Calientes
Meals: Breakfast, lunch, and dinner with snacks
On the third day of your Ancascocha trek tour, you need to wake up early again to hike along a beautiful Inca trail and start with a downhill hike for 45 minutes to Paucarcancha. This is an amazing Inca site, which is located where three different Inca trails join to form one. The first Inca trail comes from Salkantay, the 2nd is the famous Inca trail, which is a 4-day hike on our Ancascocha trail. This is a perfect location and an interesting Inca site, which had multiple functions in the valley. The Paucarcancha is very well preserved and only a few people get to see this amazing complex. After exploring this site, we continue along the trail of the first day Inca trail 4-day hike, where the panorama will change as it will be surrounded by a different environment than the previous 2 days. After 2 hours of hiking, we will arrive at the Wilcaracay Incan complex, which is the best view point to see amazing Patallacta. Here your tour guide will give you some interesting information. We will continue hiking to Canabamaba to learn more details about the Incas and their amazing buildings. After exploring this site we will be arriving at the km 82- Piscacucho, where you can see lots of hikers in lines at the beginning of the famous Inca trail. After finishing our hike and we will arrive at our lunch spot at Km 82 of the railroad- Piscacucho. You will have a wonderful refueling lunch prepared by our chef and then drive you to the train station to board the train, departing at 3:20 pm to Aguas Calientes (1.30 hour journey) and then go to our boutique hotel, for a well-deserved rest for a couple of hours. We will go as a group to one of Aguas Caliente’s local restaurants to enjoy a wonderful dinner and talk about tomorrow’s adventure in Machu Picchu.
Day 4: Machu Picchu – Huayna Picchu Mountain – Inca Bridge – Cusco
Meals: Breakfast with snacks
Walking Hours: 3-4 hours/easy
Walking Distance: variable
High Elevation: 2700m
On the fourth day of the Ancascocha Trek tour, you will begin with a very early breakfast to start a very enjoyable day in Machu Picchu. We will start the Ancascocha trek tour by hiking along the Inca trail that ends in Machu Picchu (one of the flat stones on the edges of cliffs in the highland jungle) that is well known as the Inca Bridge trail. This will prove to be a fascinating hike where very few tourists go. This walk will take us approximately 35 minutes round trip, and proves to be the best way to begin your tour of this magical complex. After the Inca Bridge, you will relax and enjoy the best viewpoint of the Citadel. Your guide will continue his discussion about the mystery of Machu Picchu that will leave you enthralled. Following the discussion, your guide will lead you on a tour of the complete complex that will last between 3-4 hours. Then you will get ready for the 10:30 am Huayna Picchu Mountain or Mount Machu Picchu climb. Once you have finished the climb, you will have some time to walk around on your own to take pictures or shop, then go for an early dinner on your own at one of the many restaurants located at Aguas Calientes. Lastly, we take the late train back to Cusco city, where our driver will take you back, by van, to your Cusco Hotel.
When to Travel
- High Season (June – August): Dry season in the Andean highlands. Best time for dry conditions for hiking in the Sacred Valley and on Inca Trail.
- Shoulder Season (September-November and March-May): Occasional rainstorms Trails are less crowded, making for ideal visits with more solitude.
- Low Season (December to February): Rainy season. Expect persistent daily rains.
- The Inca Trail is closed in February for trail maintenance and campsite clean up.
Suggested Packing List
- Original passport (should passport change post booking bring both)
- ISIC internatinal student card if applicable.
- Backpack to carry your personal items
- Comfortable trekking boots with good ankle support
- Warm clothes, layers for variable temperatures
- Thermal underwear for cold conditions
- Gloves or mittens, wool socks, beanie for cold conditions
- T-shirts and trekking pants that zip off to short pants for comfort
- Personal medications, insect repellant
- Flash light, head lamp and extra batteries
- Sun hat, Sunscreen, and sunglasses
- Rain jacket/pants or high quality rain poncho
- Personal Toiletries, toilet paper, small towel, moist towelettes
- 2 x1 litre water bottle
- Bathing suit for the hot springs in Aguas Calientes
- Extra money for drinks & tips, souvenirs etc in soles
What’s Included in our Ancascocha Trek tour?
* Professional Guide with expert knowledge of the area and its customs
* Assistant guide(s) based on group size
* Pre trek briefing with lead guide
* Breakfast, snack, lunch, tea, dinner with daily water
* 4 man tents shared by 2 guests
* Toilet tent, Kitchen tent, Dining tent and chairs
* Private hot shower tent
* Cooks, assistants, horseman
* Packhorses (to carry the tents, food, cooking equipment, and your personal belongs 8 kilos per person)
* Entrance ticket to Machu Picchu
* Guided tour of Machu Picchu
* Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain climb permit
* Return transfer to hotel
* First-aid kit
* Bus Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu (round trip)
* Duffel bag
* Hiking poles
* Sleeping bag, air mattress, and pillow
* Radio communications
* Return Train from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes
* 1-night Deluxe accommodations, Aguas Calientes
* 2 nights deluxe camping
* Dinner at one of Aguas Caliente’s local restaurants
* Cusco Hotel
* Travel insurance and tips
* Solo fee-private tent and hotel room ($75.00)