LARES TREK TO MACHU PICCHU 4-DAYS
VISIT AUTHENTIC ANDEAN COMMUNITIES • INCA THERMAL BATHS AT LARES • WEAVERS ROUTE OF LIVING INCA CULTURE
✓ Amazing mountain scenery ✓ High Mountain passes ✓ Andean stone houses ✓ Native people, descendants of the Incas. ✓ Llamas and alpaca ✓ Lares Hot Springs ✓ Machu Picchu Guided Tour ✓ Climb Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain ✓ Aguas Calientes shopping
4-Day Lares Trek to Machu Picchu Details
We use an alternative Incan trail to offer our guests a unique experience on the 4-Day Lares Trek to Machu Picchu Tour. The Lares trails are filled with culture, where the farmers & indigenous communities still practice their old traditions, including weaving Inca textiles. Here is the itinerary of the 4-Day Lares Trek Tour.
DAY1: CUSCO – LARES TOWN – HOT SPRING – CUNCANI
Your day 1 will start from your hotel in Cusco at 7:00am. From here you will be picked up in our van driven to Lares town, the commencing point of the Lares Trek to Machu Piucchu. This trek combines magnificent sights of local Quechua villages, picturesque lakes, deep gorges and the popular Lares hot spring. As time permits, you can enjoy a refreshing dip in its healing waters as our team prepares your lunch and gear for your trek. Following lunch your will begin the 4-Day Lares Trek with a hike that starts with a 2-hour uphill trek to Chancacacha. Following a well deserved break, we’ll continue along a hilly trail for about 5 kilometers, stopping to enjoy the magnificent vistas & interact with the local children as we enter their villages. In the late afternoon, we’ll reach our campground to spend the night. Here you will be greeted by our staff with appetizers and hot drinks. You will also have the chance to the meet and interact with the local people. You can buy some locally crafted alpaca products that the area is renowned for. You will enjoy a restful sleep under the spacious tent after relishing our chef-prepared dinner
DAY 2: CUNCANI – SICLLACASA – HUILLOC
Your 2nd day on the Lares Trail Tour will start with an early morning wake-up (at 530am). As soon as you wake up you will be served a cup of hot coca tea followed by a wholesome breakfast to get ready for your trekking adventure. We will start from the foot of Sicllaccasa Mountain, following upland tracks for about 3 hours. As we travel along the border of the awe-inspiring mountain trails, you’ll have incredible vistas of the snow-capped mountain summits of Chicon Mountain. Here you will get some time to rest & relish a mid-morning snack. Then we continue trekking until arriving at the Lares trek peak of the Sicllacasa Mountain, where we’ll stop to soak in the stunning sights & exceptional photo opportunities. After a brief two kilometer descent, we’ll arrive at our lunch-site at an amazing frozen cascade. After having our wholesome chef-prepared lunch, we’ll pursue the stream downhill for 3 hours until we arrive at our campground at Huilloc Village. This village is the home of our porters and you will be greeted by their friendly families, willing to share their daily lives with our guests. Here you will enjoy a dinner before falling asleep high in the Andes.
DAY 3: HUILLOC – PUMAHUANCA – OLLANTAYTAMBO – AGUAS CALIENTES
On Day 3 you are allowed to sleep a bit longer than the previous days, before being served a cup of warm coca tea followed by a nutritious breakfast. Now you will be ready for your last day of hiking on the Lares Trek to Machu Picchu. We’ll walk for approximately 4 hours down into the Lares Valley, next to a pacific stream, interacting with native Quechua folks, as our guide articulates the history of several Incan ruins along the way. We’ll stop in the village of Ollantaytambo for lunch, and from here we will say goody-bye to our horseman and porters that helped us throughout the Lares Trek to Machu Picchu Tour. We will then drive to the Ollantaytambo railway-station where we’ll continue our journey via train to the beautiful town of Aguas Calientes. Here we’ll check into a hotel and have some spare time to shop around before enjoying our celebration dinner at one of Aguas Calientes local restaurants. Here, your guide will describe and plan with you tomorrow’s adventure in Machu Picchu.
DAY 4: AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHU PICCHU - CUSCO
On Day 4 we will take the early bus to Machu Picchu insuring we arrive at the main gates well before the crowds. Here our guide will lead you on a 2 hour tour of the Citadel of Machu Picchu. Following this tour you will be guided to the Machu Picchu Mountain entry where you will enjoy the included climb to the summit. Alternatively you may wish to discuss with your guide the option of hiking to the Sun-Gate and Inca Bridge where you can explore further this wonderful historical site. After this hike you’ll have some spare time to stroll around on your own and then take the return bus to Aguas Calientes, where you will have time to shop and enjoy a drink or snack as you stroll through the cobblestone streets of this mountain village. Finally, you will board the afternoon train and we will have one of our drivers waiting for you at the train station and drive you back to your Cusco hotel.
What’s Included in our 4-Day Lares Trek to Machu Picchu
• English & Spanish speaking guide • Entrance to Lares hot springs • Pick up & return from your hotel in Cusco • 4 person tent for every two people • Sleeping bag, pillow and deluxe air mattress • Kitchen & dining tent with chairs and tables • Group toilet tent • Wranglers & horse to carry all the essentials (tents, food, chair, etc) • Emergency horse • Purified drinking water & hot water for washing • Emergency oxygen bottle & first-aid kit • Expedition train fare to Aguas Calientes from Ollantaytambo • Expedition train fare from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo • 1-night hotel lodging in Aguas Calientes • Machu Picchu entrance ticket • Machu Picchu guided tour • Huayna Picchu or Mount Machu Picchu climb permit • Round trip bus from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu
Suggested Packing List
• Original passport (should passport change post booking bring both) • Original ISIC international student card if applicable. • Daypack for personal items • Trekking Clothes (trekking boots, warm fleece jacket, long sleeve tops, t-shirts, socks, sun hat, thermal underwear, light long pants, gloves, poncho, rain jacket, beanie) • Personal Toiletries, toilet paper, small towel, moist towelettes, personal medications • Sun block • Head lamp or flashlight • Sunglasses • Two 1 litre water bottled or 2 litre water reservoir • Camera • Binoculars • Bug repellent • Bathing suit for the hot springs in Lares • Extra money for drinks & tips, souvenirs etc in soles
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING
"Our guides Reuben, Marco and Celia were great. They took care of everything. I enjoyed the conversation and learning about their country. I liked the food and think the meals were well rounded. The hotels were clean and accommodating. Good team. I’d book with them again."
SEAN S., DENVER CO
"Awesome leadership, great preparation, outstanding food, a new adventure at every turn and....the contrast from 14000 ft. peaks to jungle canopy was what brought it all together....two worlds, one civilization, new friendships, and lots of fun. We'll be back!"
LOUIS C., SCOTTSDALE AZ
"One final note - over the four days, one couldn't help looking over at the other groups of trekkers, observing and even chatting with along the trail. From groups of 2 to what looked like other groups of 30+ people, I don't think I found any group that was as well looked after as our group. You can stop looking now - go ahead and book with Guiding Peru."
RICHARD C., ALBERTA CALGARY CANADA
When to Travel
- High Season (June – August): Dry season in the Andean highlands. Best time for dry conditions for hiking in the Sacred Valley and on Inca Trail.
- Shoulder Season (September-November and March-May): Occasional rain storms Trails are less crowded, making for ideal visits with more solitude.
- Low Season (December to February): Rainy season. Expect persistent daily rains. The Inca Trail is closed in February for trail maintenance and campsite clean up.
Travel insurance: simple & flexible
You can buy and claim online, even after you’ve left home. Travel insurance from WorldNomads.com is available to people from 140 countries. It’s designed for adventurous travellers with cover for overseas medical, evacuation, baggage and a range of adventure sports and activities.
Fulfillment of booked tour:
Guiding Peru LLC is the travel booking company for your tour. Guiding Peru LLC does not provide guiding services in Peru. Guiding Peru LLC contracts guiding services from Peru companies for the tours booked with Guiding Peru LLC