SALKANTAY MACHU PICCHU TOUR – MULTI-SPORT – 4 DAYS
Exclusive to Guiding Peru
Active tour: Hike – Cycle – Zipline – White Water Rafting – Hot Springs
Machu Picchu tour included
Overview of Salkantay Machu Picchu Tour – Multi-Sport:
Guiding Peru provides an exclusive 4 Day Salkantay Machu Picchu Tour to provide visitors a chance to explore one of the most popular hiking routes to Machu Picchu. The Salkantay! Our guided Salkantay Machu Picchu Tour is Multi-Sport and is designed for those who want to enjoy an action-packed and challenging adventure that every day offers a different and exciting activity: Hiking, Cycling, Zip-lining and White Water Rafting. This tour is for those that want to do it all on their way to Machu Picchu.
Salkantay Machu Picchu Tour Highlights:
* 4-day multi-sport adventure including hiking, cycling, white water rafting and zip lining
* Enjoy hiking on the impressive and challenging Salkantay trail
* Includes entry permit and guided tour of the world famous Machu Picchu
* Includes entry permit for the amazing Huayna Picchu or Mount Machu Picchu Mountain
* Includes deluxe camping and hotel accommodations
* Includes chef-prepared nutritious meals and snacks
- 25% deposit required at time of booking
Salkantay Machu Picchu Tour Details:
This is Guiding Peru’s exclusive and unique multi-sport tour, which has a blend of 4 activities-hiking, cycling, white-water rafting and zip lining. Our Salkantay Machu Picchu Tour focuses on exploring the culture and beauty of this wonderful mountain region. On this guided tour, we will travel on portions of the Salkantay Trail and along the impressive Inca trails while observing the cultural-rich Andes, and will conclude our multi-sport tour with a Machu Picchu guided tour and climb of Huayna Picchu.
*One day before the tour: Your guide will provide detailed information at the pre-trek briefing.
Day 1: Cusco – Soraypampa – Salkantay Pass – Huayracmachay – Challway
- Walking Hours: 8-9 hours/challenging
Walking Distance: 19.5km
High Altitude 4650m
Accommodation: Deluxe Camping
Meals: Breakfast, lunch, dinner with snacks
**DAILY ACTIVITY: Hiking the Salkantay Trail
On the first day of your tour, our guide will pick you up from the hotel lobby at 4am for a 3.25 hours drive to Mollepata. After passing through this town we will keep on driving to reach the end of a dirt road that offers a spectacular view of the mountains Humantay and Salkantay which is called Soraypampa. Before starting the adventure of climbing the mountains, you will get a chance to enjoy a delicious breakfast and enjoy the best views of the two glaciers. Following the meal, we will start our expedition towards Machu Picchu. The first part of trekking can prove to be a bit difficult and for about four hours, we will hike uphill to reach the summit of the Salkantay Pass (4650m). After participating in an offering to the mountain, we will continue hiking down the pass for 1.5 hours to reach our picnic lunch spot, near a beautiful river at Wayracmachay (3800m), where we enjoy a freshly prepared box lunch. In the afternoon, we will keep on going downhill for 3 more hours, through a cloud forest. Then we will enter a warmer and more humid region that is surrounded by the exuberant vegetation, which will be our camp site- Challway (2950m). Here, you will get a warm welcome by the rest of our staff of drivers and porters (who are the part of the Challway community) and enjoy a tasty traditional Peruvian dinner. At the Challway, the dirt roads start, so our cargo van will be there with your personal items, bikes, food, and equipment for the next day’s tour. This evening we will sleep in high-quality spacious tents allowing you to get a good night’s rest before tomorrow’s exciting day of cycling and river rafting.
Day 2: Challway – Lucmabamba Coffee Farm – Santa Teresa
- Walking Hours: 1 hours/moderate
Walking Distance: 3km
Cycling Hours: 3 hours/easy-moderate
Cycling Distance: 37kms
High Altitude: 2950m
Accommodation: Deluxe camping
Meals: Breakfast, lunch, and dinner with snacks
**DAILY ACTIVITY: Cycling and White Water Rafting – BONUS: Volcanic Hot Springs
On the second day of your Salkantay Machu Picchu Tour, we will wake up at 6:30 am to enjoy a tent service of coca tea or coffee and then get ready to have breakfast at 7:00 am. At around 7:30 am, your tour guide will brief you with information about the road for your cycling adventure. The first part of the tour will take us about 1.5 hours to cycle on a dirt back-road that has a plenty of early switchbacks, and then explore the rest of the way on a gradual downhill decline, until we reach the community of Lucmabamba. Located in the middle of the cloud forest, Lucamabamba is a beautiful area that has an important micro-climate, making it possible to grow a high quality Peruvian coffee. Here, we will take a break and rest, after which you will get a chance to roam around a coffee farm of a local farmer who will teach how coffee is prepared. After, you will also get an opportunity to explore the cloud forest to find a variety of tropical plants like coca, cacao, avocados, bananas and a wide variety of citrus. Following this farm tour, we will continue cycling downhill for about 1.25 hours to reach the canyon of the Santa Teresa River. Here we will stop to enjoy our lunch break. Following our lunch we will drive for 30 minutes to Santa Maria, where we will have an amazing experience of white water rafting for 90 minutes through the narrow Sacred Valley Mountain Range. We will then meet our chef at our campsite where we will enjoy a freshly prepared meal prior to enjoying this evening’s relaxing time at the hot springs of Santa Teresa. Here you will enjoy a few hours relaxing in the volcanic crystal clear thermal waters, prior to ending your day.
Day 3: Santa Teresa – Hydroelectric Station – Aguas Calientes
- Walking hours: 3 hours/easy
- Walking distance: 10km
- Highest elevation: 2,040m
- Accommodation: Hotel (standard) Aguas Calientes
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks
**DAILY ACTIVITY: Zip-lining and Inca Trail Hiking
After an early breakfast, we will get ready to enjoy a zip-lining adventure. Professional instructors will lead us for approximately 1.5 hours of zip lining along the canyon from one mountain to the other, over 6 lines and one suspension bridge. After enjoying the adventure of zip-lining, we will then drive for 30 minutes to reach the hydroelectric town, from where our next part of hiking will start to Aguas Calientes. This beautiful sector of the trail follows the flat Inca trail near the railroad for about 3 hours, which surrounds Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu Mountain. This section is very interesting because it is a trail that was used by the American Professor Hiram Bingham, who rediscovered Machu Picchu after centuries of it being lost. He walked along this valley looking for the lost city of the Incas, called Vitcus Vilcabamba and luckily he fell into Machu Picchu. You will pass by the farm of Melochor Artaega one of the guides of Mr Bingham. Finally upon your arrival to Aguas Calientes, you will enjoy a nice hot shower at your hotel, the dinner is booked already by us in one of Aguas Caliente’s local restaurants, where your guide will discuss tomorrow’s exciting visit of Machu Picchu.
Day 4: Machu Picchu – Inca Bridge – Huayna Picchu Mountain – Cusco
- Walking Hours: 3-4 hours/easy-moderate
High Altitude: 2700m
Meals: Breakfast with snacks
**DAILY ACTIVITY: Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu
On the fourth day of your Salkantay Machu Picchu Tour, the best time to go to visit Machu Picchu will be by taking the first bus available, which departs at 5:30 am. Your tour in Machu Picchu starts along the Inca trail and ends in Machu Picchu on the flat stones at the edges of the cliffs in the highland jungle. This is well known as the Inca Bridge Trail, offering an amazing 35 minute round-trip walk, the best way to start the tour around the whole Incan complex. After the Inca Bridge, you will have an opportunity to enjoy the best viewpoint of Machu Picchu and learn about its history and mystery from your well-versed guide. After the 3 hour guided tour, you will get ready for the 10: 30 am, Huayna Picchu Mountain or Mount Machu Picchu climb. Once you finish the climb, you will then have some time to walk around on your own to take some photos and go for an early dinner on your own, at one of the best restaurants located at Aguas Calientes. At the end of the tour, we will take the late train back to the Cusco, where the designated driver will be waiting to take you back by van to your Cusco Hotel.
When to Travel
- High Season (June – August): Dry season in the Andean highlands. Best time for dry conditions for hiking in the Sacred Valley and on Inca Trail.
- Shoulder Season (September-November and March-May): Occasional rainstorms Trails are less crowded, making for ideal visits with more solitude.
- Low Season (December to February): Rainy season. Expect persistent daily rains.
- The Inca Trail is closed in February for trail maintenance and campsite clean up.
Suggested Packing List
- Original passport (should passport change post booking bring both)
- ISIC international student card if applicable.
- Backpack to carry your personal items
- Comfortable trekking boots with good ankle support
- Warm clothes, layers for variable temperatures
- Thermal underwear for cold conditions
- Gloves or mittens, wool socks, beanie for cold conditions
- T-shirts and trekking pants that zip off to short pants for comfort
- Personal medications, insect repellant
- Flash light, head lamp and extra batteries
- Sun hat, Sunscreen, and sunglasses
- Rain jacket/pants or high quality rain poncho
- Personal Toiletries, toilet paper, small towel, moist towelettes
- 2 x1 litre water bottle
- Bathing suit for the hot springs in Aguas Calientes
- Extra money for drinks & tips, souvenirs etc in soles
What’s included in our Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu Multi-Sport Tour?
* Professional English/Spanish speaking experienced guides
* Pre-trek briefing with lead guide
* Dining tent, chairs, toilet tent and private hot shower tent
* Sleeping bag and deluxe foam mattress
* Private transport to and from the Cusco hotel
* 1 Night hotel accommodations in Aguas Calientes
* Luggage transport for trek(8kg/person allowance)
* Tents for trail (2 person shared 4 man tent)
* Trekking poles
* Meals as per the itinerary
* Purified drinking water
* Trek permits and Santa Teresa Hot Springs entry fees
* First aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle
* Bikes, gloves, helmets
* Zip-line and White-water rafting equipment and fees
* Expedition Train Tickets, bus tickets
* Cusco Hotel
* Travel insurance and tips
* Solo fee for private tent and hotel room ($75.00)