HUCHUY QOSQO PLUS SHORT INCA TRAIL 4 DAYS
HIKE TO MACHU PICCHU THROUGH THE SUN-GATE • EXPLORE REMOTE INCA SITES • INCA TRAIL HIKING
✓ Hike to Machu Picchu without the crowds ✓ Tour Huchuy Qosqo archaeological site ✓ Visit less-known ancient Incan sites ✓ Hike the Short Inca Trail ✓Cycle along the Urubamba River ✓ Hotels and home-stay – no camping ✓ Available when 4-Day Inca is sold out
THE BEST ALTERNATIVE TO THE CLASSIC INCA TRAIL
Guiding Peru has designed this Huchuy Qosqo with Short Inca Trail trek for guests who walk on a secret Inca Trail where few other tourists go. Sleeping next to an abandoned Incan city, hiking on the last stretch of the Classic Inca Trail, visiting Machu Picchu twice, at Sunset and at Sunrise, cycling along the Urubamba River. This tour includes a home-stay visit at the remote archaeological center of Huchuy Qosqo, beautiful landscapes, visit to lagoons and interactions with Andean people. On day 3 of the tour we begin at kilometer 104 for our short Inca Trail trek into Machu Picchu, entering in late afternoon through the amazing Sun-Gate. On last day, we will be the first to enter the citadel, enjoying a guided tour of Machu Picchu before the crowds arrive later in the day.
On this tour you can expect hiking at high elevation for up to 6 hours per day. Training for at least 2 months before the trek is advised. Guests are responsible for carrying their personal items required for day 1 and day 3 and 4 of tour, Guiding Peru provides transport of guest’s additional luggage for day 2 of the tour, where guests will have access to these additional personal items. Plan your arrival into Cusco 2 days prior to the start of the trek to allow proper time to acclimate to the high altitudes.
Tour Details: 4-Day huchuy qosqo plus short inca trail trek to machu picchu
You will have an in-depth briefing with your guide 1 day before your trek. Your guide will meet you at your Cusco hotel and you will have the opportunity to ask questions and make any final preparations, before your next day’s departure.
DAY 1: CUSCO – PATABAMBA – HUCHUY QOSQO
- Meals: Box Lunch and Dinner
- Lodging: Village home-stay with local family
- Distance : 10kms
- Hiking Time: 6-7 hours
- Maximum altitude point: 4,110m
- Difficulty: Moderate
We depart Cusco Hotel at 6:00am in a private transport, beginning your journey by driving to the small village of Patabamba (3,850m/12,631ft), a small Andean community that is the starting point of our hike. We start hiking uphill amidst beautiful mountain scenery. As we ascend towards the first pass (4,110m/13,484ft), the landscape begins to change dramatically to Andean Puna, from which you enjoy a panoramic view of the Sacred Valley, the Vilcanota River, and the distant snow-capped mountains. We will then descend to the village of Siwa (3,900m/12,795ft); then continue hiking on an Inca Trail to the archaeological remains of Pucamarca before entering the Leon Punku Canyon, where we will follow an Incan trail that leads to the archeological site of Huchuy Qosqo (3,700m/12,139ft). This canyon displays geological formations surrounded by majestic rocks and boulders alongside the river. Huchuy Qosqo is an Inca archaeological complex with imposing architecture that includes a large open ceremonial center with views of an ancient Incan bridge nearby. This evening you will enjoy our Huchuy Qosqo Home-stay; a unique opportunity to share and stay in the house of a local family, participating in daily activities with the host family, learning of their work and their traditions. Dinner is prepared by the family, with provided comfortable bedrooms and clean toilet facilities.
DAY 2: HUCHUY QOSQO – LAMAY - OLLANTAYTAMBO
- Meals: Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner
- Lodging: Hotel(Standard ), Ollantaytambo
- Hiking Distance: 6.5kms • Hiking Time: 2.5 hours
- Cycling Distance: 10kms • Cycling Time: 1.5 hours
- Highest elevation: 4,110m
- Difficulty: Easy
After we have packed up and finished our breakfast with our host family, overlooking the Sacred Valley and amazing views of the peaks of the Urubamba mountain range, our guide will provide a tour of the archaeological site of Huchuy Qosqo. During this tour our guide will explain the historical background of this ancient Incan city, preparing us for what we will see at our final destination; Machu Picchu. After we finish our visit to Huchuy Qosqo we will continue our hike to Lamay town. This part of the trek is mainly downhill, the trail follows through a lush and beautiful ravine filled with birds and exotic plants. It will take us approximately 2.5 hours to get to the bottom of the mountain at Lamay. Once at Lamay town, we will enjoy a short tour of Lamay town, seeing sites where very few tourists have visited. We will then put on our safety gear and mount our mountain bikes for a scenic ride along the Urubamba river. This ride will take approximately 1.5 hours where upon our arrival into Urubamba, we will enjoy a well-deserved lunch at one of the local restaurants. Following our lunch we will be transported by van to the village of Ollantaytambo, where prior to checking into our hotel we will enjoy a climb of Pinkuylluna Mountain, for a 1.5 hour tour visiting the ancient Inca granaries. From the the height of Pinkuylluna we will have amazing views of the village of Ollantaytambo and the surrounding Sacred Valley. Tonight you will enjoy dinner in a local restaurant where our guide will discuss tomorrow’s hike on the Inca Trail into Machu Picchu.
DAY 3: OLLANTAYTAMBO – KM 104 - INCA TRAIL - AGAUS CALIENTES
- Accommodation: Hotel (standard), Aguas Calientes
- Highest Elevation: 2650m
- Beginning Elevation: 2030m
- Distance to walk: 13km
- Approximate walking time: 6-7 hours
- Meals: Breakfast, Box lunch, dinner, and snacks
After an early breakfast, we will leave the hotel in Ollantatambo, along with the lead guide in a private van and take you to the train station; where we will take the train to the starting point of the 2 Day Trek at Km 104. On arrival, we will have a light snack and meet our assistant guides while we finalize our gear. Next, we will check in at the Inca Trail entry point and begin our adventure to Machu Picchu. Chachabamba (2,050m) will be the 1st archaeological center we visit. This well-preserved Inca site is known for its beautiful construction and important location in the Sacred Valley. Next, we will slowly climb for about 3 hours to the archaeological center of Wiñaywayna (2,650m), where we will enjoy its magnificent structures and a fulfilling box lunch. After a short break, we continue hiking through the semi-tropical forest to Intipunku (Sun Gate), where we witness the first panoramic view of the citadel of Machu Picchu, surrounded by impressive mountain peaks, deep valleys and the Urubamba River. From Intipunku, we descend for 30 minutes to the citadel, take a rest and have plenty of opportunity to take photos. Lastly for today, we will take the bus to the town of Aguas Calientes (2,030m), where we will spend the night at our hotel. Later today we will have the option to visit the Aguas Calientes hot springs. Following this experience, you will enjoy a meal at a local restaurant in Aguas Calientes, where Guiding Peru’s guide will brief you about your next day at Machu Picchu.
DAY 4: AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHU PICCHU
- Meals: Breakfast, box snacks
Today we begin the exciting tour of the Citadel of Machu Picchu. We will start by waking early and taking one of the first buses from Agaus Calientes to Machu Picchu, where we will be one of the first guests to enter, avoiding the crowds that arrive later in the day. After checking in at the main gate, you will soon have the best view point of the Citadel and our guide will start explaining the mystery of Machu Picchu. Following his discussion, your guide will lead you on a tour of the total complex for 2 hours. Following the guided tour you you will be provided a light snack and have plenty of free time to explore Machu Picchu on your own or take the optional Huayna Picchu Mountain climb. Following your visit to Machu Picchu, a bus will transport you back to Aguas Calientes where you will have time to shop, prior to your return train departing to Cusco. You board the afternoon train to Ollantaytambo, where the Guiding Peru van and driver are waiting to transport you back to your Cusco hotel, arriving at approximately 7:00 pm.
What’s Included in our Huchuy Qosqo plus Short Inca Trail 4-Day Tour:
• English and Spanish speaking local guide – professionally trained and licensed • Pre-trek briefing by our guide a day before the hike • Private transportation to & from Cusco hotel • Mountain bikes with safety equipment • Trekking poles • Meals and snacks as per itinerary • Purified daily drinking water • First-aid kit • Huchuy Qosqo entry permit • Inca trail hike permit • Machu Picchu entrance ticket • Machu Picchu private guided tour • 1-night hotel lodging in Aguas Calientes • 1-night hotel lodging in Ollantaytambo • 1-night local village home-stay lodging in Huchuy Qosqo • Expedition train ticket • Bus ticket from Machu-Picchu to Aguas Calientes
Suggested Packing List
• Original passport (should passport change post booking bring both) • Battery charge pack for electronics. • Backpack to carry your personal items • Dry Bag for personal items • Comfortable hiking boots with good ankle support • Warm clothes, layers for variable temperatures • Thermal underwear for cold conditions • Gloves or mittens, wool socks, beanie for cold conditions • T-shirts and trekking pants that zip off to short pants for comfort • Personal medications, insect repellent • Flashlight or headlamp and extra batteries • Camera • Binoculars • Sun hat, Sunscreen, and sunglasses • Rain jacket/pants or high quality rain poncho • Personal Toiletries, toilet paper, small towel, moist towelettes • Two 1 litre water bottled or 2 litre water reservoir • Bathing suit for the hot springs in Aguas Calientes • Extra money for drinks & tips, souvenirs etc in soles
INCA TRAIL INFORMATION GUIDE
This tour includes hiking on the Inca Trail! For sustainability purposes the Ministry of Peru limits the number of people that can hike on the Inca Trail each year. Here's everything you need to know about the Inca Trail including permits and availability!
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING
"Our guides Reuben, Marco and Celia were great. They took care of everything. I enjoyed the conversation and learning about their country. I liked the food and think the meals were well rounded. The hotels were clean and accommodating. Good team. I’d book with them again."
SEAN S., DENVER CO
"Awesome leadership, great preparation, outstanding food, a new adventure at every turn and....the contrast from 14000 ft. peaks to jungle canopy was what brought it all together....two worlds, one civilization, new friendships, and lots of fun. We'll be back!"
LOUIS C., SCOTTSDALE AZ
"One final note - over the four days, one couldn't help looking over at the other groups of trekkers, observing and even chatting with along the trail. From groups of 2 to what looked like other groups of 30+ people, I don't think I found any group that was as well looked after as our group. You can stop looking now - go ahead and book with Guiding Peru."
RICHARD C., ALBERTA CALGARY CANADA
YOU SHOULD KNOW
When to Travel
- High Season (June – August): Dry season in the Andean highlands. Best time for dry conditions for hiking in the Sacred Valley and on Inca Trail.
- Shoulder Season (September-November and March-May): Occasional rain storms Trails are less crowded, making for ideal visits with more solitude.
- Low Season (December to February): Rainy season. Expect persistent daily rains. The Inca Trail is closed in February for trail maintenance and campsite clean up.
Travel insurance: simple & flexible
You can buy and claim online, even after you’ve left home. Travel insurance from WorldNomads.com is available to people from 140 countries. It’s designed for adventurous travellers with cover for overseas medical, evacuation, baggage and a range of adventure sports and activities.
Fulfillment of booked tour:
Guiding Peru LLC is the travel booking company for your tour. Guiding Peru LLC does not provide guiding services in Peru. Guiding Peru LLC contracts guiding services from Peru companies for the tours booked with Guiding Peru LLC