RAINBOW MOUNTAIN 1-DAY HIKE
Exclusive “new” itinerary
Tour the most colorful sandstone mountains in South America
Challenging 15km hike with full support
Enjoy our full-day Rainbow Mountain hiking tours of the magnificent, newly discovered, and now famous Rainbow Mountains in Vinicunca. This challenging Rainbow Mountain Hiking tours takes you through an undiscovered land of remote desert landscapes, snow capped peaks and herds of alpaca prior to arriving atop of these hidden hills, full of rich minerals and deep painted colors. You will spend a day hiking high in the Andes, insuring a memory that will last a lifetime.
- Lowest Elevation: 14,189 ft
- Highest Elevation: 16,466 ft
- Distance to walk: 9 miles
- Approximate walking time: 5 hours up; 4 hours down
- Level of Difficulty: Challenging
$195.00USD per person (minimum 2 person are needed)
At the time of booking 25% of advance booking is mandatory
For further information about our 1-day Rainbow Mountain Hike Tour you can reach us at 1-800-645-6675.
Full-Day Rainbow Mountain Hiking Tours
Guiding Peru’s Rainbow Mountain Hiking Tours guides you deep into these spectacular painted hills. Also known as Vinicunca, Rainbow Mountain Peru is an unexplored land filled with snow-covered glaciated peaks, wildly desert landscapes, herds of alpaca, and immaculate beauty.
Itinerary for our full-day Rainbow Mountain hiking tours:
At 4:00am you will be picked up in a private van from your Cusco Hotel by one of our local Spanish/English speaking guides. Thereafter, you will enjoy 3 hours of driving through traditional villages with an astounding panorama of the Andes until arriving at the Quesiuno trail head. Here you’ll be offered a wholesome breakfast and hot beverages.
Following breakfast, your Rainbow Mountain Hiking Tours will begin from the Inkintuyoc Bridge, next to a stream, before hiking uphill for about 5 hours until you arrive at the popular Rainbow Mountain. As soon as you get to the peak of the mountain, you will view a variety of Andean wildlife including llamas and alpacas. In fact, this is the only place in Peru where wild Vicuñas and the Andean camel can be seen.
As soon as you arrive at Rainbow Mountain, you’ll relish in the incredible panorama of the valley and the tallest peak of the region – Ausangate Glacier, 21,000ft. After a refreshing lunch, you’ll have ample time for photos of the vibrantly colored minerals that have formed these painted hills.
Then, your 4 hour descent will begin and en route, you’ll have the chance to meet the local Quecha people, who still follow the old customs of the Incas & weave the typical garments that are available in various shops & museums throughout Peru. Following this memorable Rainbow Mountain Hike Tour, you will be driven back to your Cusco Hotel in one of our private vans.
When to Travel
- High Season (June – August): Dry season in the Andean highlands. Best time for dry conditions for hiking in the Sacred Valley and on Inca Trail.
- Shoulder Season (September-November and March-May): Occasional rainstorms Trails are less crowded, making for ideal visits with more solitude.
- Low Season (December to February): Rainy season. Expect persistent daily rains.
- The Inca Trail is closed in February for trail maintenance and campsite clean up.
Recommend packing list for this one-day Machu Picchu hiking tour:
- Original passport
- If student (ISIC international student card)
- A good pair of hiking shoes with great ankle support
- Warm clothes for volatile temperature
- Thermal underwear, wool socks, gloves and beanie for cold condition
- Trekking pants
- Camera and binoculars
- Personal medicines
- Sunglass, sunscreen and sun hat
- Rain coat
- Extra money for tipping
What’s included in this 1-day Rainbow Mountain Hike Tour:
- Breakfast & lunch with hot beverages
- Rainbow Mountain permits
- Drinking water
- Hiking poles
- Local Ingenious English & Spanish speaking guide
- Transportation to & from your Cusco hotel
- A trip through Quechua mountain villages
- Oxygen and first-aid kit
- Travel insurance